Keeping Calm and Carrying On since before it was cool

Friday 9 March 2012

Power Cut

Last night, at about 5pm some workmen digging outside my house made all the power in my whole street go off, even the streetlights.
With the swift realisation that EVERYTHING in my house is powered by electric, and I could not even make myself a calming and restorative cup of tea, I rallied.
I dragged my duvet down to the sofa, went round the house collecting candles. A while later I was ploughing through this by candlelight:
I have heard so many excellent things about this book, so I borrowed it from the school library yesterday- I have nearly finished it- it is a great read.
When it got too dark to read, I lay on the sofa, looking out of the window at the now huge and floodlit hole in the road. There was a flashing orange light that was strangely hypnotic and I kept dozing off and being woken up again.
 It was like a night in a dream.
I woke this morning with a headache, and odd lights around the house on, and the kettle had boiled itself!
That first cup of tea after my long dark night was perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment