Keeping Calm and Carrying On since before it was cool

Tuesday 26 July 2011

A poem for my Mum

A Pocket Full of Pegs

On windy
Or sunny
days.

I plumply dance on dewy grass
my mother pinny pocket full of pegs
reaching down to basket of wet

flapping sheets.

hand in pocket and out again
fast
machine gun
pegging out

The line propped high
by
my
pretend
maypole.

‘Go and leave that pole alone…if….’

I miss the end
loving threats
underneath the washing
lying
on the grass

the sun
flappily covered by my mother’s knickers
and then out again
shining
 in my eyes.

The washing
blows whisks

swinging
over
 itself

hiding
the
pegs.

Tea towels
cuddle flick
swaddle my socks

my job
later to
get the washing in

end of the dark falling garden
cool
twilight

unidentified rustles
twitch

the
end

of
the
line

by the bottom gate
where
the
wild
things
are

Collecting pegs
in a big
spiky
pinny
pocket

too much washing
for little arms

dragging dangling on grass,
catches rubs between running chubby knees

tripping

me
safely
through
the
back
door.

1 comment:

  1. I love 'machine gun pegging out' - I know that move!

    ReplyDelete